Who among us hasn't wrestled with choosing colors for a piece of jewelry? You pick colors you like, but somehow the end result isn't what you were going for. How can this be? Leave it to color expert Margie Deeb to lift the veil on this mystery in her Bead&Button-exclusive three-part series called "Speaking with Color."
That's a title you can take to the bank. In each article in her series, Margie helps you determine what you want to communicate to the person who wears or views your jewelry. Then, she helps you say just that through color. When you design jewelry using only your favorite colors, all you're really telling people is, well, your favorite colors. However, you can use a wide array of color properties to express ideas, moods, memories, and much more.
Margie's first "Speaking with Color" article is featured in our August issue, available now. There, she explores the power of warm and cool colors and especially combining the two. The October issue, which hits newsstands September 3, has to do with color value (light vs. dark) and how to use it to attract or avert attention. Finally, in our December issue (coming November 5), Margie will look at color intensity, or saturation, and how to design with those every-tricky low-intensity colors (like neutrals).
As you read the "Speaking with Color" series, consider taking our "Speaking with Color" challenge:
- Read each article in Margie's series and create a piece of jewelry based on the concepts you learn from them.
- Take a photo of your piece, and write a 150-word (or less) explanation of how the piece draws on the "Speaking with Color" concepts
- Send your text and photo to email@example.com by December 2, 2013, to enter the challenge.
Margie and the staff of Bead&Button will select five finalists, whose work will be featured in the April 2014 issue of Bead&Button. Besides fame, glory, and publication, the finalists will receive some awesome prizes:
- Top prize: A copy of Margie's books The Beader's Color Palette and the Beader's Guide to Color as well as a 1-year subscription to Bead&Button.
- Other prizes: Beading books from Kalmbach Publishing, assorted beads and findings, and other treasures from the Bead&Button offices.
Good luck, and always remember to speak with color!